Alexander technique bibliography
Bibliographie sur la technique Alexander
© Lindsey Van de Kirk 1997
[VOICE: Alex. Tech. bibliography]
The following is the bibliography of my Master's Thesis, "The Alexander Technique: A Consideration of Its Benefits to Singing and the Teaching of Singing", which is on file at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, Carbondale, Illinois, USA, dated May, 1984.
Please note that some of the texts listed do not pertain directly to the Alexander Technique, but are used in the text of the paper to support statements about basic fundamentals of proper singing technique.
Lindsey Van de Kirk
- Alderson, Richard. Complete Handbook of Vocal Training. West Nyack, New York: Parker Publishing Co., 1979.
- Alexander, F. Matthias. The Use of the Self. New York: E.P.Dutton, 1942.
- _________. The Universal Constant in Living. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1941.
- _________. Man's Supreme Inheritance. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1918.
- Appelman, D. Ralph. The Science of Vocal Pedagogy. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1967.
- Barker, Sarah. The Alexander Technique: The Revolutionary Way to Use Your Body for Total Energy. New York: Bantam Books, 1978.
- Barlow, Dr. Wilfred. "Research at the Royal College of Music." In More Talk of Alexander, ed. by Dr. Wilfred Barlow. London: Victor Gollancz, Ltd., 1978.
- Bierman, James H. "The Alexander Technique 'Gets Its Directions'", Dance Scope 12, No. 2 (Spring/Summer 1978), 24-33.
- Brown, Oren Lathrop. "Causes of Voice Strain in Singing," NATS Bulletin 15 (December 1958), 20-21, 30.
- Byles, Marie Beuzeville. Stand Straight Without Strain: Including the Actual Exercises of the Famous F. M. Alexander Therapy. Romford, Essex: L.N. Fowler & Co., Ltd., 1978.
- Duarte, Fernando. "The Principles of the Alexander Technique Applied to Singing: The Significance of the Preparatory Set," Journal of Research in Singing 5, No. 1 (December 1981), 3-21.
- Fields, Victor Alexander. Foundations of the Singer's Art. New York: Vantage Press, 1977.
- Gelb, Michael. Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1981.
- Gray, Henry F.R.S. Gray's Anatomy. 15th ed. New York: Bounty Books, 1977.
- Husler, Frederick and Yvonne Rodd-Marling. Singing: The Physical Nature of the Vocal Organ. London: Hutchinson & Co., 1976.
- Huxley, Aldous. "End-Gaining and Means-Whereby," Saturday Review of Literature 24, No. 27 (October 25, 1941), 5+.
- Jones, Frank Pierce. "Awareness, Freedom and Muscular Control," Musical America 69, No. 1 (January 1, 1949), 31.
- _____. Body Awareness in Action. New York: Schocken Books, 1976.
- _____. "Voice Production as a Function of Head Balance in Singers," Journal of Psychology 82 (November 1962), 209-215.
- Lewis, Pamela Payne. "The Alexander Technique: Its Relevance for Singers and Teachers of Singing." Ph.D. diss., Carnegie-Mellon University, 1980.
- Litante, Judith. A Natural Approach to Singing. Dubuque, Iowa: William C. Brown Pub. Co., 1959.
- Maisel, Edward, ed. The Resurrection of the Body: The Writings of F. Matthias Alexander. New York: Dell, 1974.
- McGlone, Robert E. and Marjorie Barstow. "The Effects of the Alexander Technique on Advanced College Singers," Transcripts of the Seventh Symposium: Care of the Professional Voice. Part 1: The Scientific Papers. New York: The Voice Foundation, 1979.
- Owen, Chloe. "Vocal Control for the Actor/Singer through Muscular Awareness," Opera Journal 6, No.3 (1973), 29-32.
- Reid, Cornelius. Voice: Psyche and Soma. New York: Joseph Patelson Music House, 1975.
- Riis, Kristian and Fleming Bonde-Petersen. "The Function of the Body During Singing," Musik & forskning 2 (1976), 66-82.
- Shaw, George Bernard. "Preface to London Music in 1888-89." In Shaw on Music: A Selection from the Music Criticism of Bernard Shaw, edited by Eric Bentley. New York: Doubleday, 1955.
- Vennard, William. Singing: The Mechanism and the Technic. Ann Arbor, Michigan: Edwards Bros., Inc., 1949.
- Warrack, Joyce. "The Individual Approach to Singing." In More Talk of Alexander, edited by Dr. Wilfred Barlow. London: Victor Gollancz Ltd., 1978.
- Westerman, Kenneth N. "The Framework for Developing the Coordinated Muscle Actions of Singing," NATS Bulletin 6, No. 5 (April-May 1950), 2, 7.
- York, Wynn. "The F.M. Alexander Technique in Singing." NATS Bulletin 13, No. 4 (May 15, 1957), 28-9.